Taking prenatal vitamins daily during the pregnancy is highly essential. This is one of the easiest ways of doing something positive for your growing little bundle of joy.
Even if you are eating healthy diet, you might still be missing important nutrients. Prenatal vitamins can fill these gaps.
These vitamins also support the development and growth of the baby. Popping a pill daily helps in preventing anemia and neural tube defects.
The doctor might recommend several options for the types of prenatal vitamin that you will need. If you are faced with complications and other health concerns, the doctor might recommend prescription prenatal. There are some over the counter medicines that are already available in pharmacies.
Things to Look for in Good Prenatal Vitamins
Eating healthy and balanced diet is always an excellent idea most especially for pregnant women. It is also a good idea to take prenatal vitamins during pregnancy to cover nutritional gaps in the diet of the expecting mother.
Good prenatal vitamins contain many minerals and vitamins. Their iron, calcium, folic acid and calcium are all important. The following are what you need to look for good prenatal vitamins:
- 400 IU of vitamin
- 400micrograms of folic acid
- 70 mg of vitamin C
- 200 -300 milligrams (mg) of calcium
- 2 mg of riboflavin
- 20 mg of niacin
- 6 mcg of vitamin B12
- 10 mg of vitamin E
- 3 mg of thiamine
- 150 micrograms of iodine
- 17 mg of iron
- 15 mg of zinc
In some instances, your doctor might give you prescriptions for particular type of prenatal vitamin.
How to Choose the Best Prenatal Vitamin
There are ways on how to ensure that you will end up with the best prenatal vitamin. These include:
- Choosing prenatal vitamins that are specifically designed for lactating and pregnant women. The prenatal vitamin you will choose must ensure that you will get greater supply of the nutrients that you and your growing little bundle of joy needs.
- Choosing prenatal vitamins with highly selected ingredients for efficient absorption, optimal utilization and purity.
- Choosing prenatal vitamins with good formula and meaningful amounts of essential nutrients that the baby and the mother both needs.
Benefits of Taking Prenatal Vitamins
Minerals and vitamins are vital component of women’s health. When trying to get pregnant, women must be vigilant on what they are feeding their bodies. Though there are lots of vitamins most women need are usually found in healthy and balanced diet, pregnancy requires higher content of many different essential nutrients.
There are numerous amazing benefits that you can get when you take good prenatal vitamins and these include:
- Ensuring healthy mom, baby and healthy pregnancy
- The essential vitamins needed by the baby are already in place
- Prenatal vitamins helps prevent birth defects
- These vitamins also helps promote healthy growth of muscles and bones
Given all the benefits, it is therefore highly beneficial for pregnant women to include taking good prenatal vitamins part of a healthy pregnancy routine.